Wednesday, July 11, 2007

True Happiness ?

I had a small errand at my native place, which is a tiny town in south India and I went there last weekend. My business was over quickly and in the spare time I visited an old time friend of mine. He lives in a humble house. One has to mind his head while entering the house. As you cross the small hall you enter the main hall where you find the swing. When I entered his house I found 2 of his children playing and the eldest one reading. Many broken toys were thrown here and there and they were not in their best of their costumes. The youngest one looked at me in bewilderment and shouted towards the inside of the house calling “appa”, “amma”, “look! Some one has come”. Then the other two looked up. The eldest one recognized me and shouted “Appa, Your friend Raju uncle has come”. In the mean time both my friend and his wife came from inside to the hall and received me very warmly. My friend was apparently dusting the house with a towel wrapped on his head. They were little surprised by my visit. I gave the kids the sweets and chocolates I had brought and fruits and flowers to his wife. The kids left whatever they were doing and shouted in joy!

I sat on the swing along with my friend and started chatting with him about the present and the past. We fondly remembered our school days. He told me he is still with the shop selling coffee powder. His financial status has not improved much, which was evident from the look of his house. His wife brought hot coffee in stainless steel tumbler. As I sipped it I just looked around. The walls needed a good coat of painting. Even the swing was screeching as it swung. There was a very old table fan in one corner. A Black and White TV set without cable. No tube lights, only incandescent lamps that too very few.

He took me to the rear side. He poured water from the well, which was very cool. I washed my face. There were small plantations, a banana tree and a couple of coconut trees. He cut two large banana leaves presumable for lunch instead of using plates. I told him that I would leave shortly and could not stay for lunch. He did not listen and insisted me to stay for lunch. In the mean time his kid went out running and returned with a small pack of some grocery.

Soon we had lunch. It was very simple but delicious with papad, sambar, rasam, curries and curd. His kids shouted demanding curd but they were silenced by their mother. I understood that the curd was only specially brought for me. It was very embarrassing. Soon it started raining and the kids started playing in the rain. They floated paper ships. Their father’s scolding did not move them. I left after a while, when rain subsided, bidding goodbye to them. The children screamed in unison wishing goodbye to me. The youngest one gave me a small toy car whose front wheels were missing as a parting gift. I was moved by the gesture. His father pushed him aside. He took out his age old cycle and insisted on giving me lift to the bus stop. Soon I got the bus and parted. I could see tears in my friend’s face though he was trying to smile. I traveled in the bus with a heavy heart.

I was mulling over my trip to my friend’s house. He is not rich but he is very happy. His children are having good fun. They enjoy nature and don’t miss an opportunity to enjoy. They are a close knit family. They don’t go out to Multiplexes or eat outside. They at best go to the biggest temple in the town, yet they have a good outing.

I have an apartment in the city and a car too. I work 10 hours a day and travel 3 hours a day. My wife too works. When my kids return home they don’t find their mother or father at home. We are unable to help them with their home works. They don’t get to play much. Nor they get to enjoy nature. They remain glued to the TV if they are at home. I work on my computer. My wife remains busy with her household work. We talk less. Our weekends are spent in the bedroom as the weeks are tiresome and we seldom take our children out. We eat junk food. We have enough money. But are we happy?… I do not know! I wish I lived at my native place.

1 comment:

Thoduvanam said...

Thanks for posting about the quality time we spend at home.We have become too materialistic even not knowing how to enjoy.TODAY AND THIS MOMENT.Without living in the present.The anguish in every one of us who have been missing all these..said so nicely..Thanks