Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Looks can be deceptive

It was pay-day. After having a hectic day at office, I was returning home in the suburban train. The journey would take an hour. As usual it was highly crowded with passengers. There were also vendors selling pens, combs, snacks and some plastic items. I was drenched in the sweat, so are the other passengers. The weather was highly humid and hot. I had to bear the unpleasant condition for an hour. As the train crossed an over bridge I could see the traffic on the road and some very high-end cars. I envied those executives going in chauffeur driven air-conditioned vehicles and wondered when I could travel like them. A bunch of people got out in the next station and twice as much got in. I was pushed towards a corner. It was difficult to hold on to my bag and the train at the same time.

A couple of stations later the crowd reduced a little and a bunch of youngsters got into the train. There were three girls and half a dozen boys. One of the girls was looking very pretty. Her eyes very expressive and she had a dimple in the cheeks. All were wearing faded jeans and tops. They engaged in an animated conversation and bursting out in laughter every now and then. The whole compartment’s attention was on them. Though every passenger was engaged in some conversation or other they did not fail to keep their eyes on them. The atmosphere around the youngsters was feverish. They were singing, dancing and teasing each other.

Suddenly the pretty girl made a move as though to jump out of the train and two boys near her just prevented her. I was aghast to see that. Every one was stunned and horrified by her act. It was not at all expected. She started sobbing uncontrollably and her friends tried to console her. A group of passengers joined them. They were scolding her and trying to find out what went wrong. There was little bit of commotion. Soon the next stop came and the youngsters got out very quickly and rushed out.

The train started to move and the passengers were criticizing them. Suddenly one of the passengers who tried to help the youngsters shouted, ‘My wallet! My wallet is lost!. Some one pick pocketed me’. By reflex other passengers who joined him to find out what was wrong with the youngsters also shouted saying their wallets were also lost. I clinged onto my bag. Fortunately it was safe. Soon we realized that the youngsters were the culprits. But then it was too late. They had diverted the attention very nicely to loot and many had fallen prey to their tactics. I have never witnessed any thing like this before.

I peeped out of the window and shocked to see that the train had already crossed my destination. I also realized that in the last 45 minutes I had completely forgot about the adverse weather. Quickly I gathered my self and alighted in the next stop. I took another train and returned home.

On my way back I was wondering that if I travel by car I would certainly miss such interesting (!) events. I also decided not to loose my bearings by looking at very pretty things.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As a regular traveller in suburban train for the past 20 years, I could empathise with the writer, for his bewilderment and consternation.

Actually, one becomes inured towards such fallacious acts as facts of life and accept it as matter of course.

However, one can't stop wonder at the ingenuity of the con men to invent new tactics to achieve their ends.

After all, it is our resposibility not to lose our composure in any event.

Also, one is struck by the smooth narration of the writer to make it engrossing.

Thoduvanam said...

It was great to read the train episode.There are always contradictions in what we aspire and in what we have in actuality.The narration is good and brings forth the common mans plight with that of conmen.Kudos.Keep itup