Thursday, July 19, 2007

Superstitions

I was getting late. I have been looking for my favourite folder for past 15 minutes but I could not trace it. It was 7 O’ Clock in the evening and I was still at my college. I must get back home quickly and prepare for my trip to Delhi the next day for participating in a conference. I am a psychology professor and I was to deliver a presentation in the conference. I am particularly very sentimental in nature and this folder is my lucky one as wherever I have carried this I was successful. Al last I could locate it between a heap of files. Feeling relieved, I dashed to the door. I was about to lock some one in the corridor sneezed heavily. I was terribly annoyed as I could not wait any longer but at the same time I was not brave enough to leave when some one sneezed. Sneeze is considered a bad omen in our place. Having waited for 2 minutes I locked my chamber and left office.

There was thick traffic on the road. The spate of rain in the afternoon has lead to water logging on the roads and delayed the traffic. After 45 minutes of restless driving I reached home.

Quickly I had a wash, changed my clothes and started packing things. After collecting all the things I needed for travel, I was looking for my favourite blue cabin bag, which I normally carry. This too is one of my lucky bags. I was getting desperate, as I could not locate it. Seeing my anxiety my wife asked what I am looking for. When I answered her she coolly replied that she has given it to her brother as he was going on an excursion organized by his college. I became wild but could not show my anger at her as I pretty well know my limitations and she is the first one who disregards my sentiments as superstitions. I chose to carry my office bag itself as the tour was only for a couple of days. After supper I kept the alarm for 4 O’ clock in the morning as I had to catch the early morning flight.

As usual the alarm did not go off as my son had played with it. I got up half an hour late, got ready and hired a taxi. A black cat crossed the cab in a flash. I thought I had it. Had I been driving I would have waited for a few minutes, as black cats are inauspicious. The driver did not bother and he took me well in time.

At the ticket counter I could not have my choice seat as everything was taken. I was allotted seat number 13, which is obviously not my choice, as you can easily guess. Surprisingly, the journey was uneventful.

I reached the conference hall just in time and put up my laptop. I was worried about the presentation I was to make as all signs since yesterday were not in my favour.

The chairperson introduced me to the audience and I started my presentation on “ Superstitions – Dump Them! Science-Welcome it !! ”
!!!!!

1 comment:

Thoduvanam said...

Hey Its great to learn about your presentation about superstitions..Its only a monute left for "Raghu kala",before that I should put my comments..though I do not believe..Thats the way of life..Good punch..buddy..