Thursday, July 19, 2007

RAIN

It was a cool night. Since evening it was raining heavily. I like rain very much. Looking at rain calms me. It removes all the stress. It binds me with nature. After supper I retired to bed soon. Rainy nights are my favourite and I wanted to sleep cuddled in the bed with wife and children. In the middle of the night contrary to my plans the phone rang. It sounded bad. I hesitantly took the receiver. My aunt was on the other end. It took some time to understand her. She was crying and could not speak properly. It made me fully awake and I started enquiring what went wrong. Her daughter she said had been admitted to the hospital on illness and she was in a serious condition. I was really disturbed as her daughter was very young and got married a few years ago only. She wanted my presence and I decided to leave.

I came out of the house with umbrella and raincoat. The rain was steady and strong. In the opposite building under construction I could see goats resting so close to each other. They must be enjoying the weather. I walked in the ankle deep water. There were no auto-rickshaws in sight. I could see one at the end of the road. The driver was sitting in the entrance of a shop fully wrapped in a shawl and smoking. I asked him if he would come to the hospital that is 5 kms away. He hesitantly agreed but demanded a ransom. I had not much choice but to agree.

By the time I reached the hospital I was half drenched. The rain-coat or the rickshaw cover were not of much help. The sight at the hospital was very discouraging. The cousin was indeed very sick and was on artificial ventilation. She was suffering from some peculiar disease and Pneumonia. The doctors were not very hopeful but trying. My uncle and aunt were completely shaken. I could not console them. I was just a silent spectator and helpless. Still I reassured them that she would make it. I was sincerely praying for her well-being. After a couple of hours the doctor came out saying she is responding which brought some relief in our minds. As time passed things seemingly improved. I just went out for tea. I had to force my uncle and aunt to have tea. It was 5 O’ clock in the morning. My cousin was breathing easy. I told them I would be back in the daytime and left. The rain had stopped by then.

I returned home with some relief.

A couple of days passed.

I got a call from the hospital. It brought the bad news. My cousin had passed away. I was terribly shocked as it was not expected.

I attended the funeral at her husband’s place.

I returned home. It started raining again. I could see some kids threw their hands in open collecting raindrops in their palm. It made me to recollect my childhood days. We have played together out in the rain, floated paper ships, and fought whenever each other’s ships had sunk. Now everything is over. It cannot be rewound as movie tape. I was very upset. Tears rolled from my eyes.

I do not like the rain any more!

2 comments:

Vairam said...

Anna,

Nice story about my Akka. I came to know about real affection of you from this story.

With Thanks and Tears

Vairam

Thoduvanam said...

Its a paradox.Time and situations you are put in makes your reflections happy or gloomy..Its also time is the only greatest healing factor..Your rain has made me weep and wet...